Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Mazatlan, Mexico

When we scheduled this trip to Mazatlan, it was all about Kaleigh. Being the child whom I sensed God call to missions when she was 6 months old (I'll tell that story here someday); and having sent her to the Vietnam/China border and into Nicaragua more than once, it was the least Tom and I could do to take her to Mazatlan for a scouting trip for the student mission trip she is helping to lead this summer.

And I am here to say that spending the weekend with Kaleigh was pure joy. We feel that way about all of our children all of the time (Don't you?!)!

But meeting Lilia and Jose Ramon (JR) was definitely the highlight of our trip. One: They live in exactly what I would picture a Mexican "casa" to look like--tile floors, bright colors, windows with planted pots, ceiling fans, a courtyard in front and behind--a beautiful home! And, she fed us Mexican breakfasts and lunches complete with tortilla's, avocado, purple onions sliced thin and tomatoes. I would have felt like I was eating healthy if it hadn't been for the tremendous dinners we shared at area restaurants after 9PM!

Seeing the ministries of Spirit and Truth church (that currently meets in the unfinished parking garage of a downtown office structure) and spending time with Pastors Joe and Laurie Pacheco was humbling. I was impressed most with the willingness of so many of their church members to be the "hands and feet of Jesus" And they didn't even read Crazy Love to be that way! It's just what they do! A group of women feed children of prostitutes every Saturday morning. I asked, "where does the money come from to feed these 80 kids?" Answer: from the women who come and serve it! Some of those women give sacrificially to reach out to children who have even less than they.

Then there was Marlin (not sure I'm spelling her name right) who put her nursing career on hold so that she could go take care of her grandmother in the village of Elota. Since she is there, she's opened her home for a church to meet. And two couples from the Spirit and Truth Church take turns traveling to and from Elota to host worship services and teach the children there. I am wondering why this is the norm in Mazatlan--and not in Thompson Station.

I could go on and on--but I won't. Just suffice it to say that Mazatlan was beautiful at this time of the year (they assured us that it would be much warmer in June when Kaleigh goes back with our students), and the work that God is doing through His Church there challenges me to get the women at TSC up and at 'em!! We have so much to give, and there are so many places to give it.

No comments: